Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
An abstract proving bacteria grows in saline breast implants. And fungus.
01-13-2012, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2012 07:58 PM by michelel.)
  Type of Implants: Saline Filled (Smooth)
  Year/Years implanted: 1997
  Have you been Explanted?: No
  Implant Placement: Submuscular ('under muscle')
  Are you ill from Implants?: Yes
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Fibromyalgia Chronic Fatigue Joint Aches Joint inflammation Breast pain Pain down arms Tingling and Numbness Brain Fog Autoimmune disorder Shortness of breath Achy joints and muscles Bone pain Night sweats Foot pain and burning Hair loss Memory problems Depression Insomnia Tingling in hands Profuse sweating Shaky after being in the sun Vertigo Dry Eyes Extreme thirst Sensitivity to light Candida/Yeast Flushing Gastrointestinal problems Bloating All over body weakness
  Who removed your implants?: implanted
  Did you Improve after Explant?: Some Improvement
An abstract proving bacteria grows in saline breast implants. And fungus.
I'm pretty surprised I found this. They actually implanted rabbits with sterile and non sterile saline. They checked to see if the infected with bacteria saline implant could SUPPORT growth. It did.

Some excerpts. Bacteria even grows in the capsul tissue AROUND the "bacteria filled saline implant" and AROUND sterile inside saline implant" they say.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9207676

>None of the control implants containing sterile saline had positive cultures. In contrast, the intraluminal saline was culture positive for 7 of the 10 inoculated organisms after varying lengths of time: S. epidermidis, E. coli, E. cloacae, K. pneumoniae, P. aeruginosa, A. fumigatus, and P. variotii. Samples of capsular tissue also were cultured.

Of the 122 capsular tissue specimens, 21 (17 percent) had positive cultures and surrounded both inoculated and sterile implants.

IN MOST CASES "CULTURES THAT WERE CAPSUL POSITIVE CONTAINED AN ORGANISM DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE THAT HAD BEEN INOCULATED FROM THE GROUP". In ONLY 3 cases WAS THE SAME ORGANISM cultured from both the periprosthetic tissue and the intraluminal saline, and these MAY REPRESENT instances of the INOCULATED ORGANISM MIGRATING THROUGH THE IMPLANTS FILLER VALVES.

The data show that several types of bacteria (particularly gram-negative species) and fungi can grow and reproduce in a restricted saline environment for extended periods of time.<<

Dated "1997." Dr. Leroy Young whose initials are authored on the above EXPERIMENT says this in an article about it in the Chicago Tribune:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-...cal-school

>>"We don't have any evidence this makes people sick, but if (an implant) ruptures or leaks, it could produce an infection," says Dr. Leroy Young, professor of plastic and reconstructive surgery at the St. Louis medical school.<<
===============
2 points I pondered:

1) So even though the rabbits implanted with "sterile" saline came up negative for bacteria, and the ones with the "inoculated with bacteria grown in vitro" came up positive, we don't know if the saline in our implant is always "sterile" on the surgeon's side. Regardless of what the surgeon says. No one knows, mishaps happen.

2) And think about it, 17% of infected implants and sterile implants combined grew organisms in the capsul surrounding the device, so you don't even need to have contaminated saline in the bag to get bacteria in your body making you sick IMO. *( The experiment was ONLY up to 6 months. Therefore the 17% of implants that grew bacteria AROUND the implant, may end up being a lot higher the longer it stays in the body no?)

He carries a "title" that other plastic surgeon can't argue with. He is one.

*Little bit of a contradiction though in that if one could get an infection well, that's proof it makes people sick isn't it?

I am going to find a way to test for some of this as I feel sick. As well, my GP "conferred" with a plastic surgeon and they concluded this was "impossible" therefore no need to rush my explant. (Canada covers it and I had no money to take it out myself earlier.)

Many of us have auto - immune issues and I am treating joint tendon symptoms holistically and sauna etc, but if it's not just silicone toxicity and there is bacteria and we find out, we can TREAT more of the cause, not crap shoot symptoms from what aspect (?) caused this auto immune response right?

I can't believe the doc I saw that treated woman 20 years ago from the silicone deal when Dow got sued, isn't up on saline to test for this. He's a rheumatologist. He just wanted to load me on pills treating symptoms.

I had a leaked implant inside of me totally deflated for 1 year and it was 13 year old saline that had been leaking a while before I noticed.

Allergan (old name McGhan) implants style #68. Smooth saline. In 13 years. Oct/2011 explant. Update Aug 2013. My symptoms were all caused by babesia, bartonella and borrelia (lyme). Treating using plant and pharma antibiotics. Slowly symptoms decreasing. Read post #18 on this thread for more of an explanation. http://www.breastimplantsupport.org/show...2#pid97252
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2012, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2012 08:02 PM by michelel.)
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Fibromyalgia Chronic Fatigue Joint Aches Joint inflammation Breast pain Pain down arms Tingling and Numbness Brain Fog Autoimmune disorder Shortness of breath Achy joints and muscles Bone pain Night sweats Foot pain and burning Hair loss Memory problems Depression Insomnia Tingling in hands Profuse sweating Shaky after being in the sun Vertigo Dry Eyes Extreme thirst Sensitivity to light Candida/Yeast Flushing Gastrointestinal problems Bloating All over body weakness
RE: An abstract proving bacteria grows in saline breast implants. And fungus.
Top link doesn't work for Dr. Leroy talking facts in the Chicago Tribune. I'll try again. (Now it's coming thru on the top too. I don't know...................)

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-...cal-school

Allergan (old name McGhan) implants style #68. Smooth saline. In 13 years. Oct/2011 explant. Update Aug 2013. My symptoms were all caused by babesia, bartonella and borrelia (lyme). Treating using plant and pharma antibiotics. Slowly symptoms decreasing. Read post #18 on this thread for more of an explanation. http://www.breastimplantsupport.org/show...2#pid97252
01-13-2012, 08:08 PM
  Year/Years implanted: 2011
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Chronic Fatigue Joint Aches Joint inflammation Tingling and Numbness Achy joints and muscles Night sweats Foot pain and burning
  Who removed your implants?: Explanted
So I am very sick after having saline implants just four months. Tell me what I can do to possibly eliminate the bacteria that could be present --
01-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Hi Jwiersma, I'm really so sorry to hear that you're so sick. I read your sig and yip, lots of the same stuff. Some of min has left but little. I'm going to be slow I think.

See? 4 months. And the studies in the abstract are from 1 month out of rabbit, 3 months and last one at 6 months.

Okay, I JUST found that today so I am researching the bacterias found to see what they respond to and how one tests for these bacterias found. I have written down your name at my computer desk and will let you know as soon as I find out. Quick. I want some answers today so I'll be researching tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Again, I am very sorry. How long ago were you explanted? Me, Oct 25th so 2.5 months ago.

01-14-2012, 12:22 AM
  Year/Years implanted: 1996
  Have you been Explanted?: Yes
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Fibromyalgia Chronic Fatigue Joint Aches Brain Fog Achy joints and muscles Memory problems Depression Vertigo Gastrointestinal problems All over body weakness
  Who removed your implants?: Dr. in Pennsylvania
  Did you Improve after Explant?: Feeling much better but still have a few lingering symptoms
Thanks for posting this. I moved them up into the saline/silicone section.

I had bacteria in my implants and fungi. They were yellow when removed and really disgusting. I couldn't believe they had been in my body for 8 years.

My valves had a very slow leak so I was being exposed to what was growing inside that implant as well as the outer silicone shell. 8 damn years!

Here is what the disgusting things looked like when removed. You can actually see this crap floating around in there. UGH Puke

http://www.breastimplantsupport.org/show...p?tid=7369

"There is no agony like bearing an untold story inside of you." ~ Maya Angelou

My Story - Toxic Breast Implants

“Some choices we live not only once but a thousand times over, remembering them for the rest of our lives.” ~Richard Bach
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-14-2012, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2012 03:57 PM by michelel.)
Beth, you're welcome. I just saw it there. I can't believe I could find something that actually helps your board.

Your pictures are just shocking. Shocking. 8 years. What a mess. A mess. So much was inside of them. And women don't get sick from this. Or it's so so so rare............................right.

Silicone and micro organisms. What a combination.

Jwiersma, I emailed that doctor and hope to hear from him Monday or just past. If not, I'm calling him.

He is a plastic surgeon with awards in this field so I am keeping that in the forefront concerning bias. That said, his link says he researches implants so that is a plus. I came at him logically saying, since this was found, logic using the scientific method in theory concludes in order to treat causes and not just symptoms, who can I see for this and what specific tests can be run that would be the MOST accurate from your opinion.

I also let him know since the Device Co's lost 80% (I do not have that % right, but it's something around there?) of the women they were supposed to track after 2 years (FDA not doing a thing about it), and now there is no women but the one's surfacing with disease claims of auto immune being dismissed, it's safe to say, the women showing up have valid problems. They are the end result of the experiment that wasn't finished.

I added, since the 17% of rabbits that HE PERSONALLY studied had bacteria and fungus IN TISSUE capsul around implant after 1 and 3 and 6 months, logically that stat would be higher when in body for longer periods, years.

How do we test for what?

Let's see what he says.

Last, I found another abstract that's RECENT dated 2011. Tons of links to breast implant information from Dr. Young's saline implant link. Great way to find corroborating scientific fact based evidence if doc says "impossible".

Auto immune/inflammatory from siliconosis. Researched in Rome, new possible syndrome they say to be called ASIA. (Forgive me if you have this Beth.)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21776441

*So this ties in nicely when Beth says, silicone and micro organisms. It's no small wonder women are getting sick. Both.

01-14-2012, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2012 07:04 PM by michelel.)
For people with arthritis like symptoms from these, some of this info may help you. Now that we know, what could be in these implants, inside and out, I am moving forward and seeing if BC Med will get an infectious disease doctor that can go beyond treating symptoms of which I have started holistically and "let's do some blood work." I found one that looks like a maybe. (I'll be interested to see what the PS above says coming in from his angle as well.) I wanna start running again.

Check this out. I was diagnosed with SJOGREN'S Syndrome. I do NOT buy it. the lady on the Implant Awareness Group here in BC was too. She does the inflammation holistically too I found out yesterday.

First rhuematologist says, he was treating cause, but what causes this? He didn't even know, made it out like "it just happens" here's meds.

Apparently, there is a link between some these auto immune illness and blood infections. Bacteria, fungus. And some get treated for infections. We know that right? Here's some corroborating and possible treatment for blood infections creating even SJOGREN'S auto immune.

Now, HOW COME these docs don't look further? Where is the pride in all this today, pure simple logic finding solutions and the root causes to share with us? Where?

Here's some excerpts:
http://www.immed.org/illness/autoimmune_...earch.html
We found that ABOUT ONE HALF OF OTHER AUTO IMMUNE DISEASES (Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, SJOGREN'S, Hashimoto's, Graves', Reiter's, Crohn's Diseases AND OTHERS) ARE ALSO ASSOCIATED WITH MYCOPLASMAL, chlamydial, and other INFECTIONS.

(*My personal comment- I don't see how these breast implant micro organisms that Dr. Leroy Young cultured, couldn't do the same thing.)

Although these diseases have not been treated with antibiotics in large, blinded trials, there is some anecdotal evidence that antibiotics can be effective in a program with other treatments to alleviate morbidity in these patients.

New Treatments for Autoimmune Diseases

Patients with 'stealth' infections, such as caused by mycoplasmal and other bacteria, can be treated using antibiotics effective against such infections, and once they recover, their blood is no longer positive for the presence of the infection. Recent double-blind clinical studies sponsored by the National Institutes of Health indicate that some antibiotics are effective in treating Rheumatoid Arthritis.

==
Detection of Mycoplasmal Infections in Blood of Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis, by J. Haier et al., Rheumatology - 1999: 38: 504-509 rtf doc

Detection of Mycoplasmal Infections in Blood of Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis
Jörg Haier1, Marwan Nasralla1, A. Robert Franco2, and Garth L. Nicolson , 3
1The Institute for Molecular Medicine, 16371 Gothard St. H, Huntington Beach, CA 92647
2 The Arthritis Center of Riverside, Riverside, CA 92501

SUMMARY
Objectives: Mycoplasmal infections are associated with several acute and chronic illnesses. Some mycoplasmas can enter a variety of tissues and cells and cause system-wide or systemic signs and symptoms.

Methods: Patients (14 female, 14 male) diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) were investigated for mycoplasmal infections in their blood leukocytes using a forensic Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) procedure. Amplification was performed with genus- and species-specific primers, and a specific radio-labeled internal probe was used for Southern hybridization with the PCR product. Patients were investigated for presence of Mycoplasma spp., and positive cases were further tested for infections with the following species: M. fermentans, M. hominis, M. pneumoniae and M. penetrans.

Results: The Mycoplasma spp. sequence, which is not entirely specific for mycoplasmas, was amplified from the peripheral blood of 15/28 patients (53.6 %), and specific PCR products could not be detected in 13 patients (46.4 %). Significant differences (p<0.001) were found between patients and positive healthy controls in the genus-test (3/32) and in the specific tests (0/32). Moreover, the incidence of mycoplasmal infections was similar in female and male patients. Using species-specific primers, we were able to detect infections of M. fermentans (8/28), M. pneumoniae (5/28), M. hominis (6/28) and M. penetrans (1/28) in RA patients. In 36% of the patients we observed more than one mycoplasma species in the blood leukocytes. All multiple infections occurred as combinations of M. fermentans with other species.

Conclusions: The results suggest that a high percentage of RA patients have systemic mycoplasmal infections. Systemic mycoplasmal infections may be an important cofactor in the pathogenesis of RA, and their role needs to be further explored

====

Okay? Blood infections. Just like Dr. Leroy Young said but just masking it buy saying "no proof women can get sick, but they can get infections from these organisms." So politically correct and subsequently misleading.

I want answers, I'll be the guinea pig for those of us with inflammatory conditions if I'm covered. I do realize there are many other types of symptoms. Maybe from the same bacteria or fungus though? Let's see if we can find out! xo

*this doc tests for mecury from fillings so I can't see why he'd be against testing for platinum or silicone as well.

-Lastly, helping us takes WORK on the part of the medical community today. Reading what they did with these people through comprehensive testing is what is SUPPOSED to be done with us. And I'm just not seeing it happen. It takes ONE time increment to help a patient with plausibles and I have received the run around and rolling eyes. Helping one of us can open doors for so many in the same or similar dynamic variable positions with not just breast implants. But no, throw meds. I'm not very happy with what's happened to so called medicine today.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HuffPost Live - Saline, Silicone Implants not 100% Safe Beth 0 2,336 05-23-2013 07:11 PM
Last Post: Beth
  Fat transfer breast augmentation LisaHolland 9 6,231 02-21-2013 02:56 AM
Last Post: Ladydi
  New book of photographs captures beauty after breast removal Beth 0 2,364 11-13-2012 10:43 PM
  For Breast Cancer Survivors Beth 0 1,177 11-06-2012 12:26 PM
  implants and candida omeyer 20 11,736 08-01-2012 01:22 AM
Last Post: Lilly66
  dr for stem cell breast surgery cath74 5 2,722 07-21-2012 05:09 PM
Last Post: lisamarie4Jesus
  List of Physicians for Women that are ill from breast implant disease Beth 43 30,044 06-22-2012 08:29 AM
Last Post: Mombo
Wink breast Change post op cath74 4 2,092 06-21-2012 08:48 PM
Last Post: cath74
  ALCL and Breast Implants Beth 10 11,378 05-18-2012 10:29 AM
Last Post: Grateful
  Real Housewives, Tamra Barney had her implants removed; cervical cancer dx Beth 6 4,121 05-10-2012 07:01 PM