Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Breast Implant Rupture: The Frightening Reality
01-12-2012, 10:24 PM
  Type of Implants: Saline Filled (Smooth)
  Year/Years implanted: 1996
  Have you been Explanted?: Yes
  Implant Placement: Submuscular ('under muscle')
  Are you ill from Implants?: Yes
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Fibromyalgia Chronic Fatigue Joint Aches Brain Fog Achy joints and muscles Memory problems Depression Vertigo Gastrointestinal problems All over body weakness
  Who removed your implants?: Dr. in Pennsylvania
  Did you Improve after Explant?: Feeling much better but still have a few lingering symptoms
by Mairi Johnston

My Campaign, 'Look before you leak' focused on awareness of breast implant rupture – both the high possibility of it happening and the damaging consequences. Following the Campaign, Petition 1378 was drawn up to highlight serious issues about the dangers of Implant Rupture. The Health & Sports Committee asked many demanding questions regarding Recognition, Records, Treatments, the 3 year time-bar and Justice. The aim was to get genuine and informed answers from those responsible for the Health and Welfare of the general public.

The First Minister has a duty to oversee public safety. Although James H White directed the onus towards Nicola Sturgeon, she simply restated her repetitive response that “there is no scientific relationship between silicone gel implants and immune reactions". Furthermore, it appears she is satisfied with the FDA’s ‘reasonable safety advice’ despite their warning (January 2011) to all women and the Medical Establishment that Implants had been found to cause a rare type of immune cancer.

What women really want is due recognition for their illness, truthful advice, appropriate treatments and, ultimately, justice for their suffering.

Because that recognition is denied, medical treatment is also denied. Thousands of women, including me, are victims of New Silicone Disease. For years, we have suffered insidious effects of silicone and chemicals leaking into our bodies and travelling into major organs. Following rupture of my first set of implants (given for medical reasons), I was given replacements. I have suffered 26 years of illness and 14 hospital operations including the removal of most of my lymph nodes which contained silicone gel.

Despite what you may read to the contrary, NO implant will last forever. Nothing can prevent eventual rupture. And nothing can remove the silicone gel that is set free to travel round your body where it will remain to wreak havoc with your immune system.

Ignoring and denying the consequences of rupture is neither reasonable nor intelligent. It only needs common sense, not scientific intelligence, to see and understand these consequences. Dismissing the facts and placing a device akin to (commonly described) a ticking time-bomb inside the human body, is completely irresponsible especially given its proximity to a person’s major organs.

Recent letters I have received indicate that appropriate experts, using intelligence from adverse incidents reports and peer-reviewed scientific publications, would somehow rectify safety issues. But few members of the general public will understand their jargon. Women need the plain, unadulterated truth. Rupture means that the silicone gel leaks into their major organs where it causes horrendous adverse incidents. Dr. Frank B. Vasey, Professor of Medicine, and medical writer Josh Feldstein wrote a book: The Silicone Breast Implant Controversy, What Women Need to Know.

Liquid silicone is completely banned so what justification is there to place it in bags which leak? How does this make it medically acceptably, never mind legal?

Professor Shanklin, MD and Professor David L Smalley, MD of Pathology at the Tennessee at Memphis, state “there is little difference between the effects of direct injection (of silicone) and the effects of gel-filled (implants)”. In either case, they say, “the human body reacts to the presence of this alien substance by forming granulomas which then produce a chronic inflammation. Direct injection of silicone into the breast for enlargement was outlawed because it produced serious, toxic effects in women: it is illogical that enlargement is still permitted via ruptured leaking implants”. (Science and Medicine 3.5 (Sept/Oct 1996), 22-31) http://www.lightparty.com/Health/SiliconePoison.html

The University of Texas Health Science Centre reveals the following: “Fluid silicone for cosmetic purposes is associated with pulmonary embolism and acute alveolar haemorrhage and is associated with a significant mortality”. http://www.nbl.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19346851

Silicone can cause both immune and autoimmune problems. Silicone particles have been found at ‘distant sites (from the breasts)’ such as the brain, liver, lungs, kidney, adrenal glands, lymph nodes, pancreas and

ovaries. Pockets of silicone may cause the formation of siliconomas which have been found in the breasts, neck, axillas, abdominal wall, thighs, and upper extremities (Andrew W Campbell, MD Medical Director, Centre for Immune, Environment & Toxic Disorders). http://www.freewebs.com/implants/lymphocyte.htm

When our supposedly intelligent government officials do not take those issues seriously, how can women be blamed for believing implants are harmless? The untruth goes down the line to the unsuspecting women who have virtually no hope of recognising the dangers of rupture when they go forward for augmentation. This unnatural glamorisation of women draws in those who lack confidence and self-esteem. It’s time to tell the truth and let women know the frightening risks they are taking.

While RUPTURE is classified under ‘local complications’, women will remain unaware of the dangers. It is a disgrace that, despite the controversy surrounding the safety of implants, women are still queuing up for artificial enhancement. Furthermore the 3-year ‘time bar’ is a complete nonsense. Many implants will last longer and, even if they don’t, the effects take time to manifest and, all too often, are either dismissed or misdiagnosed. Any complaints after the 3 years will, most likely, be in vain. Where is the justice in this?

VALID EVIDENCE exists on the dangers of Implants and the relationship between silicone gel implants and immune reaction. As public health is threatened by the consequences of ruptured Implants, the MHRA must take responsibility for listening and seeing, then recognising and understanding the dangers of implants. Countless women have real, live experience of illness following rupture. So, for the sake of women's health and wellbeing, the MHRA's broken-record technique regarding lack of evidence must be countermanded.

Please see attached valid websites which include Professors, Doctors, Pathologists, Scientists and MEPs, and support groups both from UK and America. Also attached are photographs of immune reactions which affect me. In the unlikely event that it is not silicone, could some medical person please tell me what it is?

Where implant rupture is concerned, the question is WHEN not IF. With the NHS in its current impecunious state, this should be more reason to ban implants that will, undoubtedly, require medical intervention.

Allegedly, the database of Health Facilities Scotland's Incident Reporting and Investigating (IRIC) has only one reported adverse incident. But, because women suffer mostly silent rupture (please see Campaign), this report is not too surprising. GPs are usually the first port of call and, as the symptoms can masquerade as myriad different illnesses, they are unlikely to suspect silicone rupture.

Furthermore, despite crucial information via PE1378, the MHRA continue to ignore the issues. Surely, then, it makes sense to establish Central Records along with honest, straightforward advice. Accessing an NHS Adverse Form is most likely to be the furthest thought in women's, especially teenagers, minds when they are excited about getting new 'safe' boobies. Handing out Adverse Forms handed after augmentation is like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. The damage is done as soon as the Implant leaks or ruptures.

Furthermore, if women are led to believe Implants have safe history of use (NHS Information), would they seek out an NHS adverse form at the time of augmentation? If it’s a private augmentation, where and how do the public get access to NHS adverse incident forms to report adverse effects down the years?

Allergan Natrelle (formerly known as Inamed, formerly McGhan) are names I recognise from the days of our Silicone Support Group established in the 1990s.The director of Allergan Implant manufacturers contacted the media as he wanted to talk to me about the issues of rupture. I told him my concerns which he has recorded but, when I asked him various questions, his answers remained vague.

Mentor's Silicone Implant advice for women, state “The Institute of Medicine (IOM) 1999, report rupture as a local complication” referring to “the primary safety issue with silicone breast implants” adding also “Importantly, the IOM report concluded that there was no evidence that silicone breast implants caused systemic health effects such as cancer or autoimmune disease”. FDA updated 2011 information.

Furthermore, despite statements and claims from plastic surgeons that Silicone breast implants do not cause cancer, FDA warns Women and Health officials about ALCL (anaplastic large cell lymphoma, a rare type of cancer of the immune system). 80 cases (‘a low figure’) have been found, and the FDA wants to know more about the actual incidence of ALCL in women with Implants because “women diagnosed with ALCL in the breast may require surgery, chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy”.

Latest news, 3rd Dec 2011 by Fiona MacRae, Science Correspondent, raises safety fears over a cancer link to breast implants alert – French woman dies with lymphatic cancer last month. Two years after augmentation, she reported feeling ill. Tens of thousands of women are being urged to have medical checkups. I am particularly concerned about my symptoms which include swollen and painful lymph nodes throughout my body. I have a constant battle with ill health.

Regarding infant concerns, Allergan Natrelle state “it is not known if small amounts of silicone may pass through from the breast implant silicone shell into breast milk during breastfeeding. Sixteen (21%) of the 75 primary augmentation patients who attempted to breastfeed following breast implantation in the Allergan Core Study through 7 years experienced difficulty in breastfeeding. The most common problem was inadequate milk production”. The MHRA state there is no evidence that this situation is unsafe.

Canadian leading scientists have told QMI Agency that women who choose to get silicone breast implants in Canada are essentially playing Russian roulette. The silicone gel implants available on the Canadian market are unsafe and are similar to those banned by Health Canada in 1992, scientists said.

Breast-implant makers said the new products have a tighter silicone barrier and the gel inside is less liquid than before, making the implant less likely to come loose from its casing. Unfortunately, breast implants can rupture without symptoms (silent rupture) and this can only be detected using appropriate imaging techniques such as MRI. It should be noted that most silicone gel-filled breast implant ruptures are silent.

Allergan Natrelle and Mentor, producers of the only authorized silicone gel implants in Canada, claim they have improved their product since the 90s, but Pierre Blais, chemist and former advisor with Health Canada, disagrees. “They made a few small cosmetic modifications,” he said. “But, in the end, it’s the same technology, the same product, the same problems as before.”

Blais said he’s analyzed more than 16,000 used breast implants during his career. His company, Innoval Failure Analysis, recuperates used implants for study. The implants currently on the Canadian market are still unsafe, he said. The implants could leak, rupture, calcify or contract.

“The problem is with the interaction between a foreign entity and living tissue which is always changing,” Blais said. “The chest is the central node for a lymphatic, vascular, bone and muscle system in movement, all this, just a few centimetres from vital organs.”

Someone else who’s unimpressed by Allergan Natrelle and Mentor’s claims is Robert Guidoin, researcher at a biomaterial company in Quebec and professor of surgery in University Laval’s medical department. “They have still not been able to stop the small molecules of silicone which pass through the implant’s envelope,” he said. “See page of the prosthesis and interaction with tissue is inevitable. Liquids enter and escape the implant.”

Allergan Natrelle and Mentor clearly lacked FDA credentials until 2006, so how on earth did they receive a CE mark indicating safety in the UK? As all Implants rupture sooner or later; the principle of rupture remains the same no matter what Implants are inserted in the body. What evidence is there to state Silicone Breast Implants are ‘reasonably safe’ when the two manufacturers, Allergan Natrelle and Mentor, remain under long-term study by the FDA?
Ignorance rears its ugly head once again as the MHRA refuse to recognise the serious problem of rupture despite Health Canada giving those Silicone Gel Implants a Class 4 Licence, the highest danger level available for products in the country.

Little, if anything, has changed. In 1968, it was found that Dow Corning 360 fluid both attracted and killed cockroaches, repelled mites and mealy bugs, and killed and repelled aphids (Plaintiffs' Exhibit 705). I consider myself lucky to have lived so long.

Dow Corning, however, still continued to fund “top research” (flawed studies) knowing full well the Silicone Implant industry has NEVER BEEN PROVEN SAFE. See ‘The Silicone Cover-up and Political Manipulations’ http://www.breast-implants.org/ilena.html

The risks are greater for poorer people who simply cannot afford those continual costs. With augmentation now the most common graduation gift, future students are likely to have double trouble paying back student loan plus Implant Replacement.

Plastic surgeons offer an affordable pay-up scheme for a 'boob job' which can now be done in a lunch hour without anaesthetic. Costing around £7,000 with Implant lifespan documented 6-10 years, this vicious circle repeats over a lifetime amounting to around £50,000. Even when women become ill after rupture, surgeons are reluctant to remove Implants unless they are to be replaced. I was given no choice in 1991 but to replace NHS Implants in case I sued the surgeons “for leaving me mis-shapen”. Fortunately, the second set of ruptured Implants was removed without having to replace them.

If Implants are deemed safe, why doesn’t the Government persuade the plastic surgeons or Implant Manufacture companies to offer women a genuine insurance package when rupture occurs? This way, women could get money back to pay for surgery to get the Implants removed when they rupture. It would also be one way for the IRIC to track women with rupture injuries.

What evidence can Nicola Sturgeon provide via the MHRA to state Implants are safe? Either she has not done any research or she deliberately chooses to ignore/deny all evidence stated in PE 1378 regarding the safety issues of all Implants. Alarmingly, she doesn’t offer any evidence to back up her repetitive statements of there being no scientific evidence on safety issues...

Most recommendations set out by the IRG have never been carried out. How is it possible, then, for Nicola Sturgeon to take into account their so-called evidence in safety issues?

The MHRA say they are keeping the safety of Silicone Gel Implants under review and will commission further work if this is indicated. Focusing on all Implants rupture as they have documented, it is crucial to immediately oversee those as documented in PE1378.

It is clear that the public is not protected by those responsible. Where is the justice in this? As a victim of silicone poisoning, I want to know who the MHRA’s “appropriate experts" are as I would like to seek their views on the experiences I have endured. Also, as a victim of rupture with adverse effects, I need to know what intelligence the MHRA use.

Nicola Sturgeon reckons that plastic surgeons should attend to women with implant problems. Does a plastic surgeon know what to do about women’s health after silicone gel leaks into the body? The NHS leaflet for women plays down the incidence of rupture. It’s usually last on the risk list and there is virtually nothing said about the dangers when silicone lodges in a person’s major organs and lymph system. So, please tell me, how are women supposed to know what really happens?

Why are the NHS boards not making any plans to record silicone breast implant rupture when the two companies Allergan Natrelle and Mentor are, purportedly, under a 10-year study? Doctors and consultants have been frank, saying to me they "simply do not know what happens after rupture". I take that to mean I am on my own to get on with illness and to seek my own treatment. Please can Nicola Sturgeon advise me and other women what consultant we can turn to for advice?
When the Scottish Government does not take this issue seriously, how can women recognise the dangers of rupture when they consider augmentation? Plastic surgeons can literally get off with murder … The denial of adverse effects allows greedy plastic surgeons to continue in a big way, even though they were warned by the Westminster Parliament (2001) to curb their advertising.

Before I fill in the NHS complaints form, could Nicola Sturgeon please tell me where I can get a consultant who will take my concerns seriously? I have painful lumps – which are growing bigger –throughout my body, especially behind my knees,. I have asked many times for them to be examined through biopsy but no doctor seems to know what to do about this.

I have also complained to doctors for 26 years about a permanent cough which has plagued me. I eventually got an appointment with Professor Godden at Raigmore Hospital. I wrote to explain how the cough affected my daily life in the hope I would get a diagnosis. At the second appointment, nurses told me he had retired without leaving any response. It is like he has run away... Since my own doctor left the Practice a few months ago, I have no medical person who will take my position seriously.

In 1996, I was delighted to achieve a BA Community arts Degree. It was a struggle to study while ill but the Student Union allowed me extra time as they understood my rupture issues and the many operations I endured. This degree allows me to speak out for other vulnerable people and challenge dishonest, unwholesome sectors of our society which, through greed, destroys healthy living and creates victims.

Similar to the tobacco scandal where the merchants knew for decades that cigarette were highly addictive and carcinogenic, they intentionally misled the public to generate billion dollar profits (HADCORP), the UK has a similar scandal in generating a multi-million pound industry from Breast Implants.
Implant Research: http://implants.webs.com/implantresearch.htm

Silicone Gel Implants remain ‘on the market’ despite wreaking havoc on the health of unsuspecting women. The subject of Silicone Breast Implants is clouded and controversial, marked by denial, cover-up, stonewalling, suppressed research, bankruptcy, and class actions. There is also much human suffering, seen and unseen involved. Scientific evidence proves that Silicone Breast Implants can produce autoimmune illnesses. Granulomas (p 6 of 8) http://www.lightparty.com/health/siliconepoison.html.

"There is no agony like bearing an untold story inside of you." ~ Maya Angelou

My Story - Toxic Breast Implants

“Some choices we live not only once but a thousand times over, remembering them for the rest of our lives.” ~Richard Bach
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2012, 10:38 PM
  Year/Years implanted: 1989
  Implant Placement: 
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Fibromyalgia Chronic Fatigue Joint Aches Joint inflammation Breast pain Pain down arms Tingling and Numbness Brain Fog Autoimmune disorder Shortness of breath Chest pain Achy joints and muscles Bone pain Rib pain Night sweats Foot pain and burning Hair loss Memory problems Depression Insomnia Tingling in hands Hypo/Hyper Thyroid Metalic Taste in mouth Weight Gain Weight Loss Profuse sweating Heat intolerance Shaky after being in the sun Vertigo Dry Eyes Extreme thirst Sensitivity to light Candida/Yeast Flushing Gastrointestinal problems Bloating Food Allergies All over body weakness Difficulty breathing
  Who removed your implants?: melmed
  Did you Improve after Explant?: 
RE: Breast Implant Rupture: The Frightening Reality
Thanks Beth. This is a great read.

I first found this forum in Feb of 2010 and so much has hit the news regarding implants since then. This rare and dangerous cancer, the PIP horror stories, snakes dying after biting a women on her implant and others. More and more will come to light and because the numbers of women getting implants are on the rise, sadly, more women will have issues from them.

I keep thinking that one day the idiots at the FDA will take another look at these issues and realize how unsafe they really are.
Find all posts by this user
01-13-2012, 08:41 AM
  Year/Years implanted: 1996
  Implant Placement: Submuscular ('under muscle')
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Fibromyalgia Chronic Fatigue Joint Aches Brain Fog Achy joints and muscles Memory problems Depression Vertigo Gastrointestinal problems All over body weakness
  Who removed your implants?: Dr. in Pennsylvania
  Did you Improve after Explant?: Feeling much better but still have a few lingering symptoms
RE: Breast Implant Rupture: The Frightening Reality
Suzy, I don't think that will ever happen. I think you know that too. Everyone is making too much money on these devices that are just not safe. I really feel for the ladies with these PIP implants. I can't even imagine how I'd feel if I currently had them. I remember the emotions I went through when I found out the truth about saline implants.

Have you read about the cockroaches yet? It is so disturbing.

"There is no agony like bearing an untold story inside of you." ~ Maya Angelou

My Story - Toxic Breast Implants

“Some choices we live not only once but a thousand times over, remembering them for the rest of our lives.” ~Richard Bach
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dr. Kolb speaks to Dr. Mercola on Breast Implants Beth 2 3,216 09-20-2012 12:17 AM
Last Post: Beth
  Breast Implants Harm Babies Beth 11 9,891 06-19-2012 06:21 AM
Last Post: Katie007
  Silicone breast implants can produce autoimmune illnesses Beth 19 14,805 05-20-2012 03:02 PM
Last Post: Lana Dearest
  Connection between Morgellons Disease and Breast Implants Beth 4 5,118 04-28-2012 01:13 AM
Last Post: danser
  Are Breast Implants Absolutely Safe? Beth 0 2,239 04-11-2012 07:12 AM
  I had the world's first breast job - and endured years of misery Beth 0 2,330 04-10-2012 08:28 AM
  Silicone Implant Disease Beth 11 17,002 04-02-2012 10:21 PM
Last Post: Djbama
  Ruptured Silicone Implant SallyRN 15 9,055 03-13-2012 08:42 PM
  Special Report: The French breast implant scandal Beth 0 1,310 02-13-2012 10:37 PM
  Faulty implant recipients asked to sign 'outrageous' legal waiver Beth 0 1,135 02-13-2012 10:13 PM