Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What to expect after explantation
07-24-2011, 06:18 PM
  Type of Implants: 'Older' Silicone Gel Implants
  Year/Years implanted: 1976
  Have you been Explanted?: No
  Implant Placement: Subglandular ('over muscle')
  Are you ill from Implants?: No
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Memory problems Depression Insomnia Hypo/Hyper Thyroid Weight Loss Dry Eyes Extreme thirst
  Who removed your implants?: not yet explanted
  Did you Improve after Explant?: Not explanted yet
What to expect after explantation
I have had silicone implants for 35 years. I have just turned 60 and I am ready to have them removed. I feel very fortunate that I have not had serious medical problems as of yet. However they have now capsulated and they feel very unnatural. I'm tentatively scheduled to have them removed at the end of August. I am not only scared by the thought of the surgery but also the thought of how I will look. I was barely a B cup when I had the implants done. My implants are 235cc. They still look good but they do not feel good. Does anyone know if you lose breast tissue when you have this surgery done? By the way my implants were not placed under the muscle. Is there any sites out there that have before and after pictures of explantation surgery? Any help or advise would be so greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2011, 08:19 PM
  Type of Implants: 'Older' Silicone Gel Implants
  Year/Years implanted: 1978
  Have you been Explanted?: Yes
  Implant Placement: Subglandular ('over muscle')
  Are you ill from Implants?: No
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Breast pain Pain down arms
  Who removed your implants?: Dr. Edward Melmed, Dallas, TX
  Did you Improve after Explant?: Fully Recovered after Explant
RE: What to expect after explantation
Soniagirl--
Your story is very similar to mine. I had my implants for 33 years, and am now 62. I had them removed in March. I had no adipose breast tissue before implantation (which is why I got implants), and have none, so to speak, now. My implants brought my breasts to a B cup. Now I'm probably a AA. I have some wrinkling and sagging, and DID have an internal lift, which I recommend. I don't think I look at all deformed, just very flat. It's been an adjustment, and although I'm not happy about having no breasts, I'm making my peace with it. I remind myself daily that there are so many more important aspects of life than physical appearance, and there are 'products' to make me feel my appearance is more 'feminine' in clothes. After all, aren't implants 'products', just hidden ones?! I wish you the best. I think explantation is the right decision. Mine, too, had severe contractures, and were as hard as rocks. I can sleep comfortably on my stomach now, and am not self conscious when I hug someone, wondering if they'll notice, and wonder about my hard breasts. Since you had breast tissue prior to implantation, I imagine you'll have plenty after. You may have some sagging, but your PS may be able to do a lift that will help. Best of luck to you. This is a difficult decision to make. After I made the decision to explant, though, I began to sleep better and worry less. I'll pray God's blessings and peace to comfort you.

God isn't finished with any of us yet!
07-24-2011, 10:22 PM
  Type of Implants: Cohesive Gel (approved 11/06)
  Year/Years implanted: 1997
  Have you been Explanted?: Yes
  Implant Placement: Submuscular ('under muscle')
  Are you ill from Implants?: Yes
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Chronic Fatigue Joint Aches Achy joints and muscles Night sweats Foot pain and burning Depression Insomnia Heat intolerance All over body weakness
  Who removed your implants?: Dr. H. Jae Chun, Newport Beach, CA
  Did you Improve after Explant?: Fully Recovered after Explant
RE: What to expect after explantation
Welcome to the forum, Soniagirl. Regarding aesthetics, your implants are not very large, and having them under the muscle tends to help the tissue "spring back" after removal. Immediately after surgery you may be a bit shocked by your appearance, but that's the worst you will look. The following weeks and months, even up to a year, will bring positive changes.

Wanting to see photos is understandable - but everyone's situation is vastly different, and every surgeon has his or her own method, so photos can be highly misleading. When you choose a surgeon, you should ask to see photos of his or her work, and to be evaluated. This should give you a much better idea of what to expect.

Generally speaking, you should not really lose much, if any, tissue. In fact, you may find after 35 years that you have more tissue than you used to.

It's critical that you find a surgeon who is experienced at explant without replacement. This is a specialty, and less experienced surgeons are likely to try to talk you into more implants by telling you how terrible you're going to look. We have a list of recommended surgeons (see the button above that takes you to the surgeon list). See if one is near you, and if not, let us know your general area and someone may be able to suggest another doctor.

Your silicone gel implants should be removed "en bloc" - in other words, scar capsule and implant together as one unit. This is very important to avoid spillage. It's possible the surgeon will get in there and find the scar tissue is too tightly adhered to accomplish en bloc removal, but a good surgeon will make every attempt to limit your exposure.

You will definitely feel much better after explant! Feel free to roam about the forum, ask anything you like, and let us know how you progress.

- CelticOm

Explanted en bloc 7/8/10 by the awesome Dr. Jae Chun, with full anchor lift.

Two years with submuscular saline 275 cc's + eleven years with silicone gel, 450 cc's. Ugh.

http://www.breastimplantsupport.org/show...billboards

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Want explantation, scared of outcome Implantsout 17 3,719 02-24-2012 02:06 PM
Last Post: Beth
  breast forms after explantation lane.boxwood 5 3,540 12-20-2011 01:17 PM
Last Post: lane.boxwood
  Can you recommend a surgeon for explantation in Sydney? Fifi 4 1,508 11-07-2011 05:11 PM
Last Post: goldy
Rainbow New Member with Explantation questions Daffodil 10 4,504 06-08-2011 02:07 PM
Last Post: Juniper
Heart Depressed after breasts explantation hellokitty 13 7,638 06-05-2011 04:04 PM
Last Post: Goldfish
  Explant this Monday 5/9 What to expect? alexamarie 4 1,662 05-09-2011 05:39 PM
Last Post: Beth
  Preparing for explantation gardeniian 2 1,416 03-18-2011 05:32 PM
Last Post: CelticOm
  Hi All! Nan from San Diego....want Explantation NanRN 16 2,924 03-08-2011 05:45 PM
Last Post: NanRN
  Best explantation surgeons, Sydney Australia Honour 28 7,785 02-16-2011 11:55 PM
Last Post: jilleo22
  Ready for explantation and fat transfer Helcsi 23 3,631 02-13-2011 08:42 AM
Last Post: Helcsi