Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Capsular Contracture
10-07-2007, 01:34 AM
  Type of Implants: 'Older' Silicone Gel Implants
  Year/Years implanted: 1975
  Have you been Explanted?: Yes
  Implant Placement: Submuscular ('under muscle')
  Are you ill from Implants?: Yes
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Breast pain Brain Fog Autoimmune disorder Chest pain Bone pain Foot pain and burning Hypo/Hyper Thyroid Vertigo
  Who removed your implants?: Dr. In Kansas City
  Did you Improve after Explant?: Feeling much better but still have a few lingering symptoms

Why is One of My Implants Rock Hard?"
You have developed Capsular Contracture. Scar tissue, which forms internally around the breast implant, can tighten and make the breast round, firm, and possibly painful. Excessive firmness of the breasts can occur soon after surgery or years later. The occurrence of symptomatic Capsular Contracture is not predictable. The incidence of symptomatic capsular contracture can be expected to increase over time. Capsular Contracture may occur on one side, both sides or not at all. There are four grades of capsular contracture - Baker grades I through IV.
The Baker grading is as follows:

Grade I
The breast is normally soft and looks natural.

Grade II
The breast is a little firm but looks normal.

Grade III
The breast is firm and looks abnormal.

Grade IV
The breast is hard, painful, and looks abnormal.
Capsular Contracture may be more common following infection, hematoma, and seroma. However, it is not known for sure why Capsular Contracture happens. The literature also discusses other factors, such as a textured implant surface and submuscular placement of the implant, which may decrease the Capsular Contracture rate. In severe or symptomatic cases, such as grade III or IV, there are different treatment options ranging from cutting or removing the implant capsule tissue (Capsulotomy vs. Capsulectomy) with or without replacement of the implant itself. Capsular Contracture may happen again after this additional procedure.

What is Capsulectomy, Closed and Open Capsulotomy?

When a woman develops painful and deforming Capsular Contracture (grade III & IV), there are several treatment options available to them. Previously, surgeons manually squeezed the contracted breast in order to break the implant shell. This technique is called Closed Capsulotomy. Besides being very painful, this maneuver could also damage or even rupture of the implant itself. Because of this, closed Capsulotomy is no longer recommended by implant manufacturers or the medical experts.
[Image: breastaug_rupture.jpg]
Today, the technique of Capsulectomy or Open Capsulotomy, is performed. This is a surgical procedure where several incisions are made in the capsule in order to release the contracture-Open Capsulotomy; or the entire capsule is removed-Capsulectomy. At this time, if the implant is smooth, it is changed with a textured implant which carries a lower incidence of Capsular Contracture.

Will Capsular Contracture Cause The Implant's Shell to Weaken, or Rupture?

There seem to be varying opinions on this. Some say no, because there are equal amounts of force being exerted on the implant. However, according to Mentor and Inamed (Allergan), it is possible for very severe cases of Capsular Contracture to rupture the implant. Thankfully, this does not seem to be a common problem.

What Are the Symptoms of a Ruptured Silicone Implant?
[Image: breast_mri.jpg]
Some women may notice a decreased size and/or shape in their breast, pain and/or tenderness in the breast, numbness, tingling, burning, swelling, or hard knots (also known as nodules). Sometimes, silicone implants can silently rupture, meaning that the patient has no idea that she has experienced a rupture. An MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) with equipment specifically designed for imaging the breast may be utilized for evaluating patients who have a "suspected" rupture or leakage of a silicone gel breast implant.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2007, 03:25 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2012 11:20 AM by Beth.)
  Type of Implants: Saline Filled (Smooth)
  Year/Years implanted: 1996
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Fibromyalgia Chronic Fatigue Joint Aches Brain Fog Achy joints and muscles Memory problems Depression Vertigo Gastrointestinal problems All over body weakness
  Who removed your implants?: Dr. in Pennsylvania
  Did you Improve after Explant?: Feeling much better but still have a few lingering symptoms

Excellent Article!

"There is no agony like bearing an untold story inside of you." ~ Maya Angelou

My Story - Toxic Breast Implants

“Some choices we live not only once but a thousand times over, remembering them for the rest of our lives.” ~Richard Bach
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2007, 03:31 AM
  Year/Years implanted: 1975
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Breast pain Brain Fog Autoimmune disorder Chest pain Bone pain Foot pain and burning Hypo/Hyper Thyroid Vertigo
  Who removed your implants?: Dr. In Kansas City

Beth, I was hoping you would do that. It answers so many questions women have. Thanks for doing that !!!!!
10-11-2007, 04:09 AM
  Year/Years implanted: 1998
  Have you been Explanted?: No
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Fibromyalgia Chronic Fatigue Joint Aches Joint inflammation Breast pain Pain down arms Tingling and Numbness Brain Fog Autoimmune disorder Shortness of breath Chest pain Achy joints and muscles Bone pain Rib pain Night sweats Foot pain and burning Memory problems Depression Insomnia Tingling in hands Hypo/Hyper Thyroid Weight Loss Profuse sweating Vertigo Dry Eyes Extreme thirst Sensitivity to light Gastrointestinal problems All over body weakness Difficulty breathing
  Who removed your implants?: Not Explanted
  Did you Improve after Explant?: Not explanted yet

Hi its only me Mutt1:thrilledI had a Grade IV capsular contracture on my left breast 6 months follwing removal of a Ruptured Implant on my right breast, it was solid, i had no movement in the breast at all, if i layed on my front it made my shoulder blade protrude outwards. Ifinally had it explanted in August 05, but i have had it replaced.......which i am now begining to think i should not have, as i now have Emphysema and feel that more surgery will make my respiratory problems worse and in a few years my respiratory problems will be greater. I do have a current litigation, so i have to be careful in what i say. Take care, and Beth this is a wicked site, thank you!!!
03-30-2008, 09:16 PM
  Year/Years implanted: 
  Have you been Explanted?: 
  Implant Placement: 
  Are you ill from Implants?: 
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: 
  Who removed your implants?: 
  Did you Improve after Explant?: 

Adina that would be grear to see your MRI of contracture if you can get it on here

thanks
01-06-2012, 07:28 AM
  Type of Implants: Cohesive Gel (approved 11/06)
  Year/Years implanted: 2007
  Are you ill from Implants?: Unsure
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Sensitivity to light
  Who removed your implants?: not explanted
RE:
(10-11-2007 04:09 AM)mutt1 Wrote:  Hi its only me Mutt1:thrilledI had a Grade IV capsular contracture on my left breast 6 months follwing removal of a Ruptured Implant on my right breast, it was solid, i had no movement in the breast at all, if i layed on my front it made my shoulder blade protrude outwards. Ifinally had it explanted in August 05, but i have had it replaced.......which i am now begining to think i should not have, as i now have Emphysema and feel that more surgery will make my respiratory problems worse and in a few years my respiratory problems will be greater. I do have a current litigation, so i have to be careful in what i say. Take care, and Beth this is a wicked site, thank you!!!

HI Mutt1, you had your old implant replaced and seems you still have health problems.

Not sure how i can help! as i am at the stage of worrry worry!!! as need to get off this site and arrange private breast ultrasound. As it will take 6weeks NHS. i will email you again
01-06-2012, 07:33 AM
  Type of Implants: Cohesive Gel (approved 11/06)
  Year/Years implanted: 2007
  Are you ill from Implants?: Unsure
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Sensitivity to light
  Who removed your implants?: not explanted
RE: Baker Grade
(10-07-2007 03:31 AM)mcmad11 Wrote:  Beth, I was hoping you would do that. It answers so many questions women have. Thanks for doing that !!!!!

Hi mcmad11

When my surgeon took out the old implants and i caught a glimpse of the photo's i was shocked. They looked like 2 bits of raw meat covered in blood which had been torn from a carcass.

He fitted re implants. I have baker grade 111 in one breast. He made no mention of en-bloc.

please advise if possible????

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ? HELP ?Silicone leaking from De. popping capsular contracture? pastelli 9 2,903 09-01-2008 12:08 PM
Last Post: Guest