Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Dr. Linda Huang's approach to fat grafting
08-05-2008, 05:28 AM
  Year/Years implanted: 1984
  Have you been Explanted?: Yes
  Implant Placement: Subglandular ('over muscle')
  Are you ill from Implants?: No
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Shortness of breath
  Who removed your implants?: Dr. Linda Huang
  Did you Improve after Explant?: Some Improvement

Some additional information Dr. Huang shared on fat grafting during the pre-op consult the day before surgery:

The fat would be taken from areas where the fat has the most density or thickness. She said this gives better results because it is more stable, and I believe she also meant not as likely to dissolve or disappear. She said that stomach fat is softer and not as likely to survive. (I'd rather you hear these words from her. I hope I'm interpreting or remembering everything correctly.) Fat was taken from the outer thighs up to the back of my waistline. Several passes/attempts of injections with a crochet-sized needle have to made, even 100 times (for an example) to find what is needed. I can't remember what she said about this; I just remember her saying I would be extremely sore because she has to insert the needle in many, many areas to get what she was looking for. In addition to the density of the fat, another key factor for fat graft survival is it's access to a blood supply. The way Dr. Huang approaches this is with strategic purpose. She doesn't just randomly inject fat into the breast area but painstakingly deposits each fat injection close to a blood vessel. As a result fat sites are criss-crossed across the breast area along the various blood vessels. The third key element to fat transfer survival already mentioned is feeding it regularly with healthy fat like avocadoes, nuts, salmon, etc. I suppose the unhealthy fats would feed it as well. I don't know. She didn't make an issue of these and no lists of healthier choices were given. She just specifically mentioned avocadoes, salmon, and nuts as examples of what kinds of fat to eat.

In the packet of info Dr. Huang's office sent it says of fat grafting:

"ABSORPTION OR DIASPPEARANCE OF FAT: Fat transfer from one part of the body to another is "safe," and the results should last many years depending on the person. Experience shows that second fat transfers may occasionally be required. Lipostructure.com is a good website you can view that was set up by the guru of fat transfer, Dr. Sydney Coleman in New York City, that shows fat transfers that have lasted many years.

LUMPINESS: After fat transfer, lumpiness under the skin may be noticeable to the touch or even, rarely, may be visible. Dr. Huang will make every effort to avoid this problem at the time of transfer. If it is an initial problem, massage and time will help. Both the donor site and the recipient site will be hard and lumpy for 7 to 12 weeks. Gentle massage can help but it just takes time to heal. While your fat grafts are healing, please DO NOT TRY TO LOSE WEIGHT! You can starve your fat cells. Please try to maintain a healthy, balanced diet for at least 12 weeks postoperatively! DO NOT STARVE YOUR FAT GRAFTS--EAT A REGULAR BALANCED DIET!"

Under "Postoperative Care" in the packet it says of fat grafting (fat transfer):

DONOR SITE: A small donor area requires no specific treatment. The bruising will gradually disappear over a several week period. If the donor site is larger, tape has been placed over the area suctioned. Leave the tape in pace for 3-4 days and then remove it while you are in the shower or bath. If a compression garment has been placed, you may remove it temporarily for comfort or laundering. Dr. Huang or the nursing staff will give you further directions.

RECIPIENT SITE: The area of fat injection will be swollen and tender, and you may have some bruising. You may have very small suures at the injection sites that are dissolvable. To reduce swelling in your face, keep your head up! Avoid salty foods such as French fries, Chinese food, etc. After 48 hours ice probably does not help reduce swelling but it may still make you feel better.

Other additional misc. information I heard. Evidently a compression "panty" or something that looks like a bike short is suggested to cover the fat donor site areas. I didn't hear about this in time to locate one nor do I think I needed it. According to Dr. Huang's surgical assistant, Jan Gold, who I spoke with a couple of days after surgery, the light compression garment helps with comfort and protects outer clothing if the donor sites seep fluid. Evidently some saline is injected into the fat areas to help with removal, and liquid can seep through these sites of needle entry. Dr. Huang was so exact in her work that I have had no seeping whatsoever. L'eggs brand is supposed to have a nude colored bike short (like pantyhose) for about $6.99. I checked at the Walgreen's before leaving Denver but they no longer seemed to carry it. It also probably comes in jet black color. I would recommend buying one just before this procedure just in case it's needed. The idea is that it's light compression only.

So far I am extremely happy with the fat transfer. I don't feel any hardness or lumpiness whatsoever. I don't know how much of my breast size is actually me, the fat transfer, or swelling. Whether the fat survivies or not, it is the perfect transition from implant to explant for someone who has no breast tissue like me. From a psychological standpoint, not having fat grafting at this time in my life was not an option for me. I've been a size 34 C since implants in 1984. I know some women say they are so sick they don't care what they look like afterward. I don't have this kind of strength right now. The fat grafting was also necessary for me because the second plastic surgery who did my explant/re-implant stripped the life out of my skin and breast tissue when trying to remove all the thick scar tissue. I wasn't sure how much fat I needed on my body and didn't ever discuss this with Dr. Huang. I went into surgery at 142 lbs with a height at 5'9". My legs and waist after surgery became very swollen and tight which makes it appear like I have no cellulite. Everything in this area is tight right now.

If my breasts don't change much in appearance to how they are now, I should be about a 34A.

God bless surgeons like Dr. Huang who work excessive hours to serve their patients. I couldn't help but notice her blood shot eyes. She is an adorable tiny woman of Asian descent and very soft spoken in nature. I hope she can continue at her pace because she is so needed. I hope she never suffers "burn out." She spent 4 arduous hours repairing and restoring my breasts. I had no words of expression to her that would adequately convey my indebtedness. That is all I could say to her..."I have no words..." as tears rolled down my cheeks when I last saw her, and as the tears flow now as I write this. I think women's breasts have brought them just as much suffering as they have joy, but the suffering is mostly needless, and needs to stop. It is up to us to show the light in our faces not because we're happy for having perfect bodies, but because we're happy to have our natural health back and have so much to offer in helping and comforting others. After we die and perhaps our bodies decompose, all of our breasts will be the same; a bit of dust. I do believe in a resurrection and that our bodies will be perfectly restored and beautiful just the way we want them. What is needful is to surpass the crap in this life; transcend the shallowness, and love and support one another. My inner peace has multiplied 10-fold since having these obnoxious liquid bombs taken out. Never again will I apologize for the gift of my body that for some reason we came to earth to inherit. Never again... Never again...

I care for and love all of you. Thank you, each one of you, for being who you are and being willing to share your stories, heartaches, concerns, and hard-earned expertise. I hope we can put our heads together and find ways to help everyone who needs explanting to be able to do so by a qualified surgeon. I have no expertise on non-profit organizations, how to begin one, how to get grant funding. etc, but I can promise I'll try my best to learn and do all that I can.

My admiration to you all,

Cathy

Together we can help put an end to the brutal sport of breast implantation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2008, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2011 10:01 AM by Beth.)
  Year/Years implanted: 
  Have you been Explanted?: 
  Implant Placement: 
  Are you ill from Implants?: 
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: 
  Who removed your implants?: 
  Did you Improve after Explant?: 

Cathy,

Thank you so kindly for all this info it really kind of put my mind to rest I will be doing the fat transfer also and it scares me because of lipo. I know Dr Huang is very gifted and is very sweet. I understand your concern about starting a non-profit organization I am guessing you mean for people who cannot afford to take out their implants. I have spread the word to so many people how they have ruined my life as I now have Lupus, Fibro, Reflux Disease which caused me to take a disability retirement. Plus my first surgeon basically screwed up my implants from the start and I knew that was a sign from the start. I hope everything works out for me as it did for you I want this whole thing behind me so I can move on with my life. I hope everyone could pray for me as my time is getting closer.

Thanks,
Donna
08-05-2008, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2011 10:02 AM by Beth.)

Hi Donna, yes you will be very pleased with Dr. Huang's work. I'm so glad you've made the decision to see her. And the least we can do is pray for one another. It costs nothing and brings extra help! Thank you for your letter. Hopefully this will give you something to look forward to and it will all be over with before you know it.

Hugs, Cathy

08-05-2008, 04:06 PM
  Type of Implants: Saline Filled (Smooth)
  Year/Years implanted: 1996
  Implant Placement: Submuscular ('under muscle')
  Are you ill from Implants?: Yes
  What symptoms are you experiencing?: Fibromyalgia Chronic Fatigue Joint Aches Brain Fog Achy joints and muscles Memory problems Depression Vertigo Gastrointestinal problems All over body weakness
  Who removed your implants?: Dr. in Pennsylvania
  Did you Improve after Explant?: Feeling much better but still have a few lingering symptoms

CATHY,

[font=Comic Sans MS]THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE VALUABLE INFO.

"There is no agony like bearing an untold story inside of you." ~ Maya Angelou

My Story - Toxic Breast Implants

“Some choices we live not only once but a thousand times over, remembering them for the rest of our lives.” ~Richard Bach
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2008, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2011 10:02 AM by Beth.)

Hello ladies,

Just received this e-mail from Dr. Huang after inquiring about the compression garment. My left thigh is still quite swollen and uneven from the mini-liposunctioning. The massages should do the trick. Now I have an excuse to get a massage everyday!

Cathy

06-03-2009, 04:52 AM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2011 10:03 AM by Beth.)
  Year/Years implanted: 
  Implant Placement: 

Thank you for your story. I am just in the process to find someone to take out my saline implants (which I have due to reconstructive surgery for cancer in 1997, but one of them completely deflated over 6 month ago). I live in Colorado Springs and probably will give this Dr a try. I am very scared of surgery thou, but I have been feeling very ill with MS like and fibromyalgia symptoms.

Did you do any detox after the surgery?
01-20-2010, 04:33 AM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2011 10:03 AM by Beth.)
  Year/Years implanted: 
  Implant Placement: 
  Are you ill from Implants?: Yes

What was the approximate cost for the fat transfer? I have ruptured silicone implants put in over 20 years ago. I have rejected the idea of saline implants to take their place. I would welcome back my old body which wasn't so bad and it wasn't crippled by rheumatism. I am trying to judge the change (and all my clothes) from the size I am now. I would like the things out but I would still like to more or less be able to wear the same clothes; the surgery itself will stretch my savings.

I think a donation system for those who can't afford explantation is such a great idea. Who couldn't afford $5 or $10? There are alot of members in this forum and it could make a real difference.
01-18-2011, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2011 10:04 AM by Beth.)
  Year/Years implanted: 
  Implant Placement: 

Dear Cathy,

Re: fat transfer.

These thieves say that you can transfer fat from another place to the breasts. Wrong. This transferred fat calcifies and turns hard as rock.

Never trust the medical establishment. Fat transferred from tummy to rear end is another scam. Brazilian thing calcifies and you are sitting on rocks. Please my friends, accept yourself as you are. These guys are liars.

Daisylee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  scheduled explant with dr huang 7/06/12 dynamo 10 3,865 03-03-2013 02:31 AM
Last Post: alanna13
  Fat graft okay at same time as explant? tempestuous 11 5,406 09-05-2012 11:34 PM
Last Post: tempestuous
  Best Doctors for Fat / Stem Cell Transplant Crissie 2 2,066 06-10-2012 07:17 PM
Last Post: Lilly66
  Fat Transplant Crissie 2 1,376 05-30-2012 09:26 PM
Last Post: Crissie
  Fat grafting & liposuction - questions on recovery Never_too_late 7 14,189 04-23-2012 01:44 AM
Last Post: grassy
  Dr Feng & fat transfer Never_too_late 3 3,090 04-23-2012 01:40 AM
Last Post: grassy
  For all Australian ladies, fat transfer may become available in Australia. ZaraZara 1 2,696 04-15-2012 07:59 AM
Last Post: ZaraZara
  Redness & numbness after fat transfer Never_too_late 2 1,909 03-22-2012 09:12 PM
Last Post: Never_too_late
  lumps after explant and fat transfer Workinprogress 19 8,334 03-22-2012 02:45 PM
Last Post: flowerroot
  Dr. Melmed and Fat Grafting Leugerspw 6 3,434 01-13-2012 11:32 PM
Last Post: Beth